Subaru Australia has previewed its new generation Impreza WRX sedan at the Australian International Motor Show in Sydney and it features a lot more than just a boot – it also packs an extra 26 kW more power and 23 Nm more torque, better fuel efficiency and upgraded suspension.
This brings the total power and torque of the MY2009 Impreza WRX sedan to a hefty 195 kW of power at 6000 rpm and 343 Nm of torque at 4000 rpm and together with the hatch, will be available with a larger turbocharger and increased boost, plus the options of leather trim with sunroof, and satellite navigation by early December.The new suspension package including increased spring and damping rates and thickened stabiliser bars gives the updated WRX even sharper, aggressive handling as the competition hots up with the arrival of the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart in sedan and ‘sportback’ versions.
A summary of the Impreza WRX MY09 highlights are as follows:
- 15.4 per cent more power
- 7.2 per cent more torque
- Better fuel efficiency (combined cycle)
- Carbon dioxide emissions reduced
- Upgraded suspension
- Larger turbocharger and increased boost
- Leather trim with sunroof, and satellite navigation options
- Enhanced suspension package – sharper, aggressive handling
- New mesh grille with WRX badge
- Distinctive red brake calipers
- Wider tyres
- Red stitch seating adds to sporty appearance
- Pricing maintained at MY08 levels – simple choice between hatch or sedan, as prices identical
“We’re not only introducing big power and torque increases, we’ve dramatically sharpened handling too.
“We’ve spent a lot of time with the engineers on Australian roads and in local conditions, developing a suspension package that appeals to the driving enthusiast.
“The result is an Impreza WRX that is true to our core Subaru DNA, of delivering pure driving confidence.”
The MY2009 Impreza WRX sedan will be priced from $39,990. Equivalent sedan and hatch pricing will also be identical, making it a straight choice for customers between body styles.
October 10th 2008
Categories: Motoring News