China will build – from scratch – a large aircraft carrier capable of carrying more fighter jets, the official Xinhua news service reported, quoting a senior officer with the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy.
China has one aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, which was refitted from a Russian-made model.
The report comes after Chinese officials denied foreign media reports in September 2012 that China was building a carrier in Shanghai.
“China will have more than one aircraft carrier … The next aircraft carrier we need will be larger and carry more fighters,” Xinhua quoted Song Xue, deputy chief of staff of the PLA Navy, as saying at a ceremony with foreign military attachés.
Song said foreign media reports saying the carrier was being built in Shanghai were still inaccurate but did not elaborate, according to the report.
Liaoning will be used primarily for training purposes
Considered by military experts to be decades behind US carrier technology, the Liaoning was originally intended to serve as a floating casino, but was turned to military use in the run up to a once-in-a-decade power transition in late 2012.
China is also building up other forms of military hardware, including a stealth fighter jet believed to be capable of landing on a carrier, drone aircraft and nuclear submarines.
China is alone among the original nuclear weapons states to be expanding its nuclear forces, according to a report by the US-China Economic and Security Review Commission.
Song also said the PLA Navy is building a naval aviation force for the Liaoning, and there will be at least two aviation regiments on one carrier, including fighters, reconnaissance aircraft, anti-submarine aircraft, electronic countermeasure (ECM) planes and rotary-wing aircraft, the report said.Adapted from: ndtv.com – China to build second, larger aircraft carrier: report
- China builds second aircraft carrier (guardian.co.uk)
- China to build second aircraft carrier that can host more fighter jets: Report (straitstimes.com)
- China to build second, larger carrier – report (xe.com)
- China-made aircraft carrier will be launched next year (chinadailymail.com)
- China: Liaoning aircraft carrier will have a squadron of aircraft this year (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s first aircraft carrier relocates to Qingdao (wantchinatimes.com)
- Chinese Navy lands fighters on Aircraft Carrier (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- China to send first aircraft carrier on high seas voyage (chinadailymail.com)
- Both China and Russia plan to build nuclear aircraft carriers (chinadailymail.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace