This article, byStars and Stripes’ website.
It raises a few questions about the agenda and implications.
I would hope the Australian people would look at this manoeuvre with more than a cursory assessment. Where is our democracy? What will China think about this? Are Australians puppets in the hands of the US? Why should Australia risk China not respecting our sovereignty and friendship?
A joint U.S. and Australian military and humanitarian exercise — kicked off this week as approximately 20,000 U.S. troops descended on Australia’s east coast.
The focus of this year’s exercise has shifted to amphibious operations as the training moved from the Northern Territory to Australia’s east coast and the Coral Sea. It also marks the first time the MV-22 Osprey hybrid aircraft will touch down on Australian soil. Federal agencies such as the FBI will also have an expanded role as they train with their Australian counterparts.
The fifth iteration of the bi-annual, bi-lateral, exercise is also the biggest to date.
“This year, the U.S. has come in strength,” exercise spokesman Australian Brigadier Bob Brown said Wednesday.
Brown said that the increased presence was most likely due to the U.S. pivot to the Pacific. Also, the USS Bonhomme Richard’s predecessor, the USS Essex, was unable to take part in the exercise two years ago due to maintenance issues.
“The U.S. was a bit more stretched at that time,” Brown said.
“For Australia, [the exercise] is important because we’re developing an increased amphibious capability,” he said.
The Australians plan to procure two amphibious assault ships in the next couple of years, Brown said, so there is an increased emphasis placed on training with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit and the Bonhomme Richard Amphibious Ready Group.
The exercise will feature comprehensive amphibious, airborne and special operations training. The U.S. has sent 15 ships this year, including the George Washington Carrier Strike Group, which will be coupled with 11 Australian vessels. The exercise is being observed by representatives from Vietnam, Japan, Indonesia, Canada and the U.K.
- Joint China-Russia exercise more political than military (chinadailymail.com)
- Thousands of troops land at Shoalwater Bay in Talisman Sabre military exercise (abc.net.au)
- Plenty of reasons for Marines to train in Australia – just don’t mention China (stripes.com)
- 20,000 US troops descend on Australia for training (stripes.com)
- US – Australian military exercise in Queensland (radionz.co.nz)
- Activists disrupt military exercise: Talisman Saber (workersbushtelegraph.com.au)
- 20,000 U.S. Troops Descend On Australia For Military Exercise (rickrozoff.wordpress.com)
- Marines and Sailors get a bruising lesson in Brisbane (dvidshub.net)
- 20,000 US troops descend on Australia for training (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- 20,000 US troops descend on Australia for training (philosophers-stone.co.uk)
- 20,000 US troops descend on Australia for military exercise (endtimeheadlines.wordpress.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace