In its comprehensive report, huanqiu.com says: “Reference News quotes Taiwan’s Central News Agency as reporting that Tan Zuojun, Vice Governor of Liaoning Province, has recently revealed that China has successfully completed the development of its fourth-generation nuclear submarine. It has given rise to much speculation in military circles. Some experts are of the opinion that the news is credible.
“Hong Kong’s Wen Hui Po quotes netizens analysis on that day as saying that the fourth-generation nuclear submarine Tan Zuojun mentioned must be Type 095 attack and Type 096 strategic nuclear submarines. However, Hong Kong military analyst Liang Guoliang said that by inference, China’s fourth-generation nuclear submarine must be Types 097 and 098.
“Liang Guoliang pointed out to the reporter that China has been developing its fourth-generation nuclear submarines since 2000. It is said that this kind of submarine is of a revolutionary design that adopts unprecedented method of propelling by magnetic liquid without screw propeller.
“Besides, the submarine is even free of tail and horizontal rudders and possibly has not even a surrounding shell. Therefore, it generates no mechanical or cruise noise at all and will be a real ‘ocean black hole.’
“In theory, the submarine’s speed may reach 100 knots (according to the original text in huanqiu.com), quicker than all ordinary high-speed torpedoes.
“However, Liang said: the ‘successful development’ does not necessarily mean ‘successful manufacture.’ If the design has been completed and a submarine half or one thirds of the size of prototype has been made and successfully passed various tests, the development can be regarded as successful. However, the construction of one is another matter. According to Liang’s estimate, it takes at lease 4 to 6 or even 10 years to successfully launch and complete all relevant equipment for the submarine.”Source: huanqiu.com “ guesses China has developed a revolutionary submarine with 100 knots high speed” (translated from Chinese by Chan Kai Yee)
- China to build 15 more Yuan-class submarines with German engines (chinadailymail.com)
- Indian-built nuclear sub activated (bbc.co.uk)
- First Indian nuclear submarine set for sea trials (channelnewsasia.com)
- India Takes Major Step Toward First Nuclear Submarine (huffingtonpost.com)
- Report claims India is ‘far behind’ Pakistan’s ‘powerful’ submarines (terminalx.org)
- Russia to help in Sindhurakshak fire probe (thehindu.com)
- A plea for Pakistan Navy (terminalx.org)
- Yasen-class nuclear attack submarines to give Russia major edge (indrus.in)
- India orders submarine review after deadly explosion (channelnewsasia.com)
- Report examines feasibility of nuclear-powered submarines for Australia (gizmag.com)
- India reeling after sub disaster (edition.cnn.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace