The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author, and not necessarily those ofDaily Mail.
I am a Chinese person, and acknowledge that China used to intend to be a power in East Asia a few years ago, during 2008 – 2011. However, a series of economic, social and technological defects told the Chinese government that the strength of China is still too far from developed countries such as Japan and the USA. Thus, China withdraw the plan.
However, Japan has never given up the dream to be an Asian power. Abe was elected as the prime minister in 2012, and the USA announced their reentry to Asia in late 2011. The interference from the USA is a threat to Japan.
Japan has been booming since 1954. Though attacked by USA financial force in 1990, Gross National Product (GNP) and overseas possessions have been increasing 9% every year. In 2012, the GNP of Japan was $14 trillion, based on which Japan is the number one economic power in the world. Therefore, in the last 60 years, Japan has kept on considering the strategy to restore its hegemony status in East Asia.
The strength of Japan is sufficient to achieve their plan during the 21st century, especially after 2010. Hence, the government after 2010 has undertaken the task to accomplish their half-century strategy. However, the US government returned to Asia in 2011 – 2012. The USA’s plan is to suppress China, but it also shook Japan. It indicates that Japan has to be an appendage of the USA in Asia. Consequently, the first issue Abe had to deal with was to claim Japan’s independent status in Asia situation. And the first action he took was aimed at China.
Most Chinese people merely think about Abe’s hostility towards China. But recall his first term in 2008, he broke the ice between China and Japan with Wen Jiabao as prime minister. So I tend to believe that his action is aimed at warning the USA who is the boss in Asia. And the affront is just a measure, which is improper.
- China needs to build trust, not tensions, says Japan’s PM (chinadailymail.com)
- China steps up appeal to West in Japan propaganda battle (chinadailymail.com)
- China takes propaganda war with Japan to United Nations (chinadailymail.com)
- Japan tells world to stand up to China or face consequences (japantimes.co.jp)
- Japan PM Abe urges military restraint in Asia in swipe at China – Reuters (reuters.com)
- China, Japan spar at UN over Abe shrine visit (koreaherald.com)
- Japan’s Leader Compares Strain With China to Germany and Britain in 1914 (nytimes.com)
- Japan-China war of words goes ballistic in Davos – The Telegraph (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)
- Will Japan and China Go to War? (world.time.com)
- U.S.-Japan rift over China’s assertiveness (koreaherald.com)
Categories: Politics & Law