The following article was translated from Chinese media.
Sources say due to changes in the international situation and the need to resolve South China Sea issues, Chinese military have recently drawn up a plan to conduct reclamation at Mischief and Fiery Cross Reefs. The construction of the two artificial islands will serve the same purpose as a stationary aircraft carrier, but the strategic gains will be very big.
Mischief reef will be a fishery centre at the South China Sea to provide fishing and fish farming income enough to recover the construction costs so that the construction of the artificial islands will not be a financial burden on the state.
The artificial island at Fiery Cross Reef will be an unreplaceable military base with great strategic significance due to its location and size. Such a base will realise the value of the South China Sea for China and ensure China’s status in South East Asia.
It is planned that the military base built through reclamation at Fiery Cross Reef will be 3 metres above sea level and have an area of 5 square kilometres. The construction of the base will cost US$5 billion and take 10 years similar to the construction of a 100,000-ton nuclear aircraft carrier.
If this plan is adopted by the government instead of the plan to seize back the Zhongye Island back from the Philippines, (China thinks) there will be no war in the South China Sea to affect China’s relations with the US and ASEAN.Source: qianzhan.com “Revelation of China’s plan on US$5 billion ‘ ’, a shocking deployment at South China Sea”
- China and Philippines: The reasons why a battle for Zhongye (Pag-asa) Island seems unavoidable (chinadailymail.com)
- China warns Philippines of ‘counterstrike’ in South China Sea (chinadailymail.com)
- China rejects U.N. Law of the Sea (chinadailymail.com)
- For South China Sea claimants, a legal venue to battle China (5continentnews.wordpress.com)
- China rejects US criticism on South China Sea (sfgate.com)
- China rejects US criticism on South China Sea (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- Kerry seeks to ease tensions in Asia (kansascity.com)
- Kerry seeks to ease tensions in Asia (metronews.ca)
- PLA strengthens fortifications in South China Sea (wantchinatimes.com)
- Kerry seeks to ease tensions in Asia with visit (themeshreport.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace