The US leader vowed “strong support” for the protection of Tibetans’ human rights in China during the encounter.
The two men last met in 2011, in talks that angered China. Tibet is governed as an autonomous region in China.
China has been widely accused of repressing political and religious freedoms in Tibet. Beijing rejects this and says economic development has improved Tibetans’ lives.
Chinese response to the meeting was swift, with the nation’s Vice-Foreign Minister Zhang Yesui summoning US charge d’affaires Daniel Kritenbrink to protest against the encounter.
“China expresses strong indignation and firm opposition,” Mr Zhang said, according to the Xinhua news agency.
“The Tibetan issue is the domestic affair of China, and the United States bears no right to interfere,” he added. “Such a move will gravely sabotage China-US co-operation and relations, and will definitely undermine its own interests.”
Caitlin Hayden, a spokeswoman for the National Security Council, earlier said Mr Obama met the Dalai Lama “in his capacity as an internationally respected religious and cultural leader”.
“We are concerned about continuing tensions and the deteriorating human rights situation in Tibetan areas of China.”
In recent years more than 110 ethnic Tibetans – mostly young monks and nuns living in areas outside Tibet – have set themselves on fire in apparent protest against Beijing’s rule.
The Chinese government accuses the Dalai Lama of orchestrating the protests, a charge he strongly rejects.
The Dalai Lama fled to India in 1959, after Chinese troops crushed an attempted uprising in Tibet.
He now advocates a “middle way” with Beijing, seeking autonomy but not independence.Source: BBC News – “Obamas meeting with Dalai Lama irks China”
- China suffers from “moral crisis”, Dalai Lama says (chinadailymail.com)
- Dalai Lama reveals warning of Chinese plot to kill him (chinadailymail.com)
- China irked over Obama-Dalai Lama meeting – Business Standard (business-standard.com)
- Obama’s meeting with Dalai Lama angers Chinese (capitolhillblue.com)
- PressTV: Obama meeting with Dalai Lama angers China (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- Obama meets with Dalai Lama, upsetting China (scooprocket.com)
- China lodges strong protest over hosting Dalai Lama, summons US dipomat – Indian Express (indianexpress.com)
- Obama throws support behind Dalai Lama (skynews.com.au)
- Obama meets with Dalai Lama, upsetting China (news.yahoo.com)
- Obama meets with Dalai Lama, upsetting China (bangordailynews.com)
Categories: Politics & Law