A prominent Beijing scholar who recently fled to the United States has warned that China was sending “spies” to American universities, and urged US institutions to tread carefully on academic co-operation.
Xia, an economist, was fired in October from Peking University. In his first public event since moving to the US last month, Xia said on Thursday he was mindful of the 1950s McCarthy era, when smears of alleged communist sympathies hit the reputations of Americans in government, entertainment and academia.
But Xia, who has been a visiting scholar at several US universities, said he was aware of “real spies” sent by Beijing to the US to carry out surveillance under the guise of academic exchange.
“Every year there are some visiting scholars. Among them, I can definitely say some of the people are actually spies. They don’t do any research,” Xia said at the Cato Institute, a Washington think tank which has made him a visiting fellow.
Xia urged US universities – which have been opening campuses for students from China and Gulf Arab monarchies – to ensure they “keep up some basic values like freedom of speech.”
“If Hitler were here and he tried to make some co-operation with Western universities … would you also like to accept that?” he said. “Some people would say, ‘Oh, you cannot compare with that.’ But there’s some aspects [in which] it’s quite similar.”
Xia said he hoped US universities would keep contacts with Chinese counterparts and encourage enrolment of Chinese students, but called for a clear-eyed look at their motivations.
Peking University said Xia was fired for poor teaching, charges which Xia rejected.Source: China Watch Canada – “Chinese ‘spies’ attending US universities, says expelled Peking University professor”
- From lawyer to leader, Li Keqiang will be China’s best-educated leader yet (chinadailymail.com)
- China gives police power to board and expel foreign ships in South China Sea (chinadailymail.com)
- Dissident warns China sending spies to U.S. in scholarly guise (5continentnews.wordpress.com)
- Chinese scholar warns US on university ‘spies’ (spacewar.com)
- Chinese scholar warns U.S. on university ‘spies’ (koreaherald.com)
- Dissident claims China sending spies to U.S. in scholarly guise (worldbulletin.net)
- Expelled China professor warns US universities (stltoday.com)
- Expelled China professor warns US universities (chippewa.com)
- Quiet End and Uncertain Future for Expelled Chinese Professor (thejakartaglobe.com)
- Expelled China professor warns US universities (kvue.com)
Categories: Education & Employment