The No. 9 Design & Research Institute of China State Shipbuilding Corporation recently displayed on its official website its proposed design of an artificial island to be built on a reef in the South China Sea.
It aims at providing a reserve of designs for an artificial island China may build there.
On the website, there are also the following designs for the work platform for construction of the island, which can be installed on a transformed civil ship at low cost.
The reclamation on Johnson South Reef continues, as shown in the bottom photo.
Johnson South Reef , also known as Chigua Reef, Yongshu reef, Gạc Ma Reef and Mabini reef, is a reef in the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea controlled by the People’s Republic of China (PRC), but whose ownership is disputed by the Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan, and Vietnam.Source: huanqiu.com “Exposure of China’s plan of artificial island in the South China Sea will all the facilities for fighter jets and warships” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- Philippines says China appears to be building airstrip on disputed reef (chinadailymail.com)
- China to build South China Sea military base in waters claimed by Philippines and Vietnam (chinadailymail.com)
- Indonesia joins push against China; beefs up air force in South China Sea (chinadailymail.com)
- China and Philippines: The reasons why a battle for Zhongye (Pag-asa) Island seems unavoidable (chinadailymail.com)
- China warns Japan, Philippines accuses China in maritime spat (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- China’s Offensives in South China Sea: Coordinated with Russia’s in Ukraine? (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- Aquino: China Violates Informal ‘Sea Code’ (marinelink.com)
- China claims ‘indisputable sovereignty’ over reclamation on Mabini reef (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- Philippines: China may be building airstrip at disputed reef (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- Manila and Jakarta agree on border (bbc.co.uk)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace