The following is translated from Chinese media:
Due to instability in the Middle East, China has determined to extract the oil and gas in the disputed waters in the South China Sea. China has the equipment and technology to do that. The problems are what other claimants to the disputed waters will do to stop China.
The attached photos show damage suffered by Vietnamese ships from ramming by Chinese ships. It seems this kind of ramming damage will be a daily occurrence whenever China’s oil exploration and extraction equipment emerges in disputed waters between China and Vietnam.
The Vietnamese way so far is to send a large number of ships and boats to disturb Chinese operations. China has responded with a larger fleet to ram Vietnamese ships. Due to China’s huge shipbuilding capacity and financial resources, it seems Vietnam is doomed to lose in such operations.
What is Vietnam’s next step if China begins to extract oil or gas there?
Appeal to or arbitration through the UN? China will utterly ignore the arbitration results nor will UN pass any resolution against China. China has great influence in quite a few UN members. Even the ASEAN did not accuse China for its oil rig move in its recent summit.
Will they fight a war for Vietnam and thus begin a world war? Not very likely, but the danger is there.Source: mil.huanqiu.com “Sad photos of the serious damages suffered by Vietnamese ships by ramming at the sea” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China’s South China Sea Strategy: Win the Perception Battle (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- China says it does not want war with Vietnam; that really means that they will start one (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese media says Chinese ships rammed Vietnamese ship in South China Sea; 121 ships “protecting” oil rig (chinadailymail.com)
- China takes dispute with Vietnam to UN (chinadailymail.com)
- Photo of Damages of Vietnamese Ships Caused by China in Paracel Standoff (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- Chinese Ships Rammed, Damaged Vietnamese Ship in Disputed Waters (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- Vietnam to build 32 patrol ships amid China row (panarmenian.net)
- Amid China Spat, Vietnam to Build 32 Patrol Ships (abcnews.go.com)
- China Accuses Vietnam of Ramming Ships to Stop Rig (sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com)
- China says moving 2nd rig closer to Vietnam (miamiherald.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace