The snowball has begun. In the past, the escalation might be seen as linear. This week, that changed. Though the curve is slight, it’s clearly curving.
Beijing and Hong Kong are mutually paranoid; Beijing is paranoid of the West and Hong Kong is paranoid of Beijing. One Hong Kong newspaper, House News 主場新聞, started in 2012, shut down Sunday with a message from the owner about his family fearing their safety.
A “soft-spoken” anti-Occupy speaker is highlighted in the HK press as HK buses run ads against the pro-democracy movement. Britain considers making a visit to their former colony.
China’s military sea exercise, commencing this week, is higher profile than what has been seen in the past, as expected. It even disrupted commercial passenger flights. What is Beijing planning?
Opinion writers now warn Taiwan to learn from Israel, that Taiwan needs high-tech defence, just as Israel has, to deter Beijing from even trying anything. It would be interesting to see if Taipei, impatient with the US tardy delivery on military supplies, becomes a new defence customer of Jerusalem.
While Taiwan may be left to depend on Taiwan to fend for itself, Hong Kong’s fate will depend on everyone but Hong Kong. The showdown between Beijing and “Asia’s International City” is not about Hong Kong vs Beijing; it’s about the West vs Beijing where Hong Kong is merely the host.
Articles with International Emphasis
…Bloomberg, simpler, more international-focused, and includes more historical-educational background for Western readers—a consistent trend
…Taipei Times, more Chinese names and more of the inside scoop
…Chinese trash drifting to Taiwan’s coasts
…Connects Taiwan’s military need to the situation in Gaza
…House News website down
…China taking over Taiwan through new political parties
…Taiwan’s controlling political party an unfair “authoritarian party-state”.
…Continuing trend in news stories: US has soft, “unchanging” support for Taiwan military, but little explanation as to why delivery on sales has slowed to a near halt and no explanation as to whether Taiwan’s President’s endorsement of ruling party (KMT) secret meetings with China are seen by Pentagon as a security risk.
…Article referenced by in “No shift in Washington” and “US needs” articles. Two more articles by the same author, Robert Sutter…
…Ongoing discussion within Taiwan’s opposition party concerning about how strong a stance is needed for Taiwan to be separate from China.
…Inside Taiwan’s politics and it’s unpopular controlling political party in the north
…Loaded article with references, inside details, recap of historic details, and rich in context
…SCMP story about a son who lost mother and father in the Malaysia Airlines crash in Ukraine. One more example of how the tragedy has affected lives all over the world.
…Someone is trying to buy-out Hong Kongers who oppose Beijing.
…Beijing’s recent activity in Hong Kong has gained the attention of London.
…Article spotlighting a “soft-spoken” Occupy Central opposer
Israel’s Headlines in TaiwanPacific Daily Times
- Taiwan and Hong Kong Must Lead on Democracy, Not Follow China (usnews.com)
- China official on key Taiwan trip says comes with sincerity – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Cross-Strait Relations After the Sunflower Movement (thediplomat.com)
- A showdown is looming in Hong Kong, with China threatening to send in its army (chinadailymail.com)
- Top China official met by protests in Taiwan, called “communist bandit” (chinadailymail.com)
- Philippines on alert over anti-China protest, Beijing frets (chinadailymail.com)
- Taipei’s strong message to Beijing: China has no place in making decisions affecting Taiwan (chinadailymail.com)
- China threatens to remove Hong Kong’s autonomy (chinadailymail.com)
- Mainland students will influence future cross-strait affairs: KMT (wantchinatimes.com)
- Sinosphere Blog: Taiwan Protest Leaders Blocked From Visiting Hong Kong (sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com)
Categories: Prelude to Conflict