The following is a translation from Chinese media, with commentary:
China’s qianzhan.com says in its report that the vice director of an [unnamed] Russian institute of political and military analysis has published an article on the serious underestimation of China’s military strength.
His article is aimed at warning the Russian military of China’s growing military strength, and not at scaring the US to become afraid of China.
Just as I pointed out in my post “China Wants Transparency by Busy Exposures of Its Top Weapons?” that “as always, China follows Sun Tze’s teaching in The Art of War, that the art of war is an art of deception. Therefore, one has to show one is unable to do when one is able to, and one has to show one has no intention to do when one has.”
For a long time China has tried hard to make experts outside China believe China still has a long way to go in modernising its military. Even though China does have some advanced weapons, their number is small.
Russian and Western experts have the “common sense” that producing advanced weapons in small numbers is not cost effective. Still they believe China’s allegations.
The expert says that China tries hard to make, and has indeed made, others believe that it has only 200 to 300 nuclear warheads, 30 DF-31 ICBMs and a little over a hundred intermediate-range ballistic missiles.
He believes that China may have over 1,000 ICBMs and at least 10,000 nuclear warheads judging by China’s production capacity.
He also talks about China’s huge army and tank forces and advanced aircraft and missiles, but what he worries most is Chinese army’s formidable rocket artillery, perhaps because a war between China and Russia will mainly be a ground one.
Rocket artillery is the Chinese army’s most powerful weapon. As it is carried on trucks, it is easy to conceal. However, the rockets lack accuracy as they are not guided like missiles; each rocket battalion has a reconnaissance drone to gather data to improve their accuracy.
As the rockets fly at hypersonic speed, they can hit their targets within five minutes, giving the enemy no time to defend. In comparison, the US Tomahawk cruise missile flies at subsonic speed and may take 2 hours to reach its target. That makes it easy to intercept the missile.
China’s rocket artillery is formidable as it is used to destroy a large area at very low cost compared with air raids and missile attacks. In an air raid, the attacker may suffer heavy losses of its expensive aircraft and pilots. Even missiles are much more expensive than the rockets.
Now China has independently developed its WS-2 series of rocket systems with the greatest fire power and range in the world. Its 400mm WS-2 rockets, with a six-tube launching truck, have a range of 200 km while the newest version WS-2D has a range of 350-400 km. Neither US nor Russian models are WS-2’s rival.
China’s WS-2D rockets, deployed at the coast across the Taiwan Strait, may hit anywhere on Taiwan Island. Those deployed near Russia may annihilate in a moment all Russian troops in Vladivostok, Ussuriysk, Khabarovsk, Blagoveshchensk and Belogorsk.
Source: qianzhan.com “Russian expert: PLA’s strength to confront US military squarely and toughly is gravely underestimated” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China’s ICBM with MIRV warheads will be commissioned soon (chinadailymail.com)
- A new Chinese anti-satellite test? (chinadailymail.com)
- China is busy launching satellites for space-air military capabilities (chinadailymail.com)
- China is developing a ‘super-missile’ with multiple nuclear warheads (chinadailymail.com)
- China claims successful attack on Japanese military satellite; destroyed control chip with “secret weapon” (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese Army’s Formidable Rocket Artillery (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- China’s nukes getting bigger and better (seeker401.wordpress.com)
- Russia creating super heavy Sarmat ICBM without cooperation with Ukraine – commander (in.rbth.com)
- Russia To Have New Liquid-Fuel ICBMs Missiles By 2020 (rferl.org)
- Russia Building Super Heavy Sarmat ICBM w/out Ukraine (mooglemeow.blogspot.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace