Testifying before a congressional committee on Wednesday, Vice Admiral Mulloy, the deputy chief of naval operations for capabilities and resources, told the House Armed Services Committee’s seapower subcommittee that China is building “some fairly amazing submarines” and their fleet is “growing at a tremendous rate.”,
They are carrying out more deployments and broadening their area of operations as part of a rapid military buildup.
“They may not be the same quality, but their submarine forces are growing at a tremendous rate. They now have more diesel and nuclear attack submarines than we have,” the Vice Admiral told lawmakers, according to RT. “They are producing some fairly amazing submarines and they are actually deploying them.”
China is also expanding the geographic areas of operation for its submarines and their length of deployment, Mulloy told the committee.
For example, China has carried out three deployments in the Indian Ocean and they have kept vessels out at sea for 95 days, Mulloy said.
“We don’t think they have nuclear weapons on board, but we’ve seen them producing the missiles and testing them,” the Vice Admiral said, according to RT. “We know they are out experimenting and looking at operating, and clearly want to be in this world of advanced submarines.”
U.S. military officials are in the middle of a “major push” to stay ahead of rapid advances by China and Russia, according to Reuters.
A U.S. Navy spokesperson told Reuters that the U.S. Navy has 71 commissioned submarines.
Reuters said that according to Pentagon’s last estimates, China has 77 principal surface combatant ships, over 60 submarines, 55 large and medium amphibious ships, and around 85 missile-equipped small combatants.
- China’s unusual decision to spy on joint naval exercises; risks not being invited to participate again (chinadailymail.com)
- Obama seeks to avoid “clash of civilisations” between China and the West (chinadailymail.com)
- US would welcome Japanese air patrols in South China Sea (chinadailymail.com)
- US will help Philippines in conflict against China (chinadailymail.com)
- China wants a military base on Maldives in Indian Ocean (chinadailymail.com)
- Arms Race 2.0: Top Navy Admiral Warns China Now Has More “Fairly Amazing Submarines” Than The US (zerohedge.com)
- The defense industry’s friend inside Congress and outside Congress (stateofglobe.com)
- Admiral Says China Outnumbers U.S. in Attack Submarines (dodbuzz.com)
- US Military ‘Losing Race’ in Technological Superiority (spacewar.com)
- A Conversation on National Security and Reform With Chairman Mac Thornberry (cfr.org)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace