US National Interest magazine’s website carries navy expert Dave Majumdar’s article “Nuclear Submarines: America’s New Aircraft Carriers?”, predicting, “Nuclear-powered guided missile submarines could be the key to maintaining America’s future naval supremacy.”
The article also states that US aircraft carriers are unable to go near China to attack it for fear of being destroyed by China’s anti-ship cruise and ballistic missiles.
Majumdar says in his article, “Instead of being able to push in close to shore during the initial stages of a major war, the Navy’s multi-billion dollar floating airfields and their escorting warships might be forced to maintain station as far as a thousand nautical miles offshore to remain outside the range of enemy attack.
“Further compounding the problem is the fact that the current carrier air wing does not have the necessary reach or ability to penetrate into ever more capable enemy air defences. Even the belated introduction of the Lockheed Martin F-35C Joint Strike Fighter around 2019 will not solve that problem.”
He gives US military the advice to stop building the very expensive Ford-class aircraft carriers and switch to using nuclear attack submarines armed with submarine-launched cruise missiles to attack China.
The book “Space Era Strategy” says China is developing aerospace bombers to prevent the US navy from cutting China’s trade lifelines. As we are in a space era, China is probably developing aerospace weapons which can stop the submarines.
- China to build six aircraft carriers by 2020 (chinadailymail.com)
- PLA expert says China will not be a rival to US for at least 50 years (chinadailymail.com)
- China says carrier tests in South China Sea going well (chinadailymail.com)
- China says it’s massive navy buildup is world’s biggest (chinadailymail.com)
- India buys a third aircraft carrier amid rivalry with China (chinadailymail.com)
- US Homeland in Danger of China’s Nuke Subs’ Conventional Attack (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- Major Powers Investing in New Super Aircraft Carriers (industrytap.com)
- US aircraft carrier visits Portsmouth and stirs British wave of navy envy (express.co.uk)
- China’s new submarines could create problems for the US Navy (uk.businessinsider.com)
- China’s new submarines could create problems for the US Navy (businessinsider.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace