The following is based on a translation from Chinese media:
Russia’s sputniknews.cn website reported that China tried to develop vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) fighters in the 1960s and 1970s, but failed. Now China is again considering building such fighters.
Russia is experienced not only in making the special engines but also quite a few other devices for VTOL fighters, for example the ejection seat for the pilot to escape when the VTOL fighter jet has a problem in taking off or landing.
Russia has said it can help it can help China develop the VTOL J-31.
Source: mil.huanqiu.com “Russian media: China will perhaps want VTOL J-31, which Russia can help develop” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China’s alternative aircraft carrier – amphibious attack vessel with VTOL fighters (chinadailymail.com)
- China has technology to build VTOL J-20 stealth fighter jet (chinadailymail.com)
- China hopes to snatch sales from US with J-31 4th-generation fighter jet (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese military’s unlimited budget (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese spies stole F-35 fighter design (chinadailymail.com)
- Bare the Mystery of China’s VTOL Stealth Fighter Jets (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- China’s J-31 stealth fighter may have VTOL capability: expert (wantchinatimes.com)
- Japanese Navy gets biggest warship since WWII (thehindu.com)
- Navy Prepares Amphibs for F-35B’s First Deployment in 2018 (dodbuzz.com)
- MCAS Cherry Point to become maintenance hub for F-35 fighter jets (witn.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace