The following is based on a translation from Chinese media:
The J-11D incorporated the technologies of China’s J-16, which was delivered to the Chinese air force (PLAAF) in April 2014.
It uses the J-16’s Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, which has a larger range to enable it to intercept enemy fighter jets further away.
Moreover, the AESA radar can be datalinked to drones and other Chinese platforms for better awareness of the situation.
Some analysts believe that the J-11D is probably the Chinese version of Russia’s Su-35.
If so, American third-generation fighters such as the F-15C and the F/A-18E/F are no match for it, and the Chinese jet is superior.
According to informed sources, the J-11D is powered by two Chinese-made WS-10A engines.
If such engines enable the J-11D to have performance similar to Russia’s Su-35, China has made great progress in developing its homegrown aircraft engines.
Source: mil.huanqiu.com “Foreign media: J-11D can be regarded as Chinese version of Su-35 equipped with new phased array radar” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China has technology to build VTOL J-20 stealth fighter jet (chinadailymail.com)
- Russia sells China 100 Su-35 fighter jets (chinadailymail.com)
- China developing 180,000-ton double-hull aircraft carrier (chinadailymail.com)
- China says it is able to track and kill US stealth aircraft (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s J-15 fighter jet has practice flights from Liaoning aircraft carrier (chinadailymail.com)
- The Chinese Air Force’s Super Weapon: Beware the J-11D Fighter (nationalinterest.org)
- The Chinese Air Force’s Super Weapon: Beware the J-11D Fighter (thetruthseeker.co.uk)
- China reveals its J-11D fighter (wantchinatimes.com)
- China’s advanced J-11D heavy fighter jet takes maiden flight (alrasub.com)
- China’s advanced J-11D heavy fighter jet takes maiden flight (rt.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace