The following is based on a translation from a report in Chinese media:
Now it appears that China has developed such a drone, thanks to cooperation with engineers from other countries – the “Shendiao.”
The Shendiao is a double-fuselage drone, developed by China, and will give the People’s Liberation Army long-range surveillance and strike capabilities.
There is no information about the drone except in a book titled Going Straight Forward: Aircraft Design Specialist Li Ming, which mentions Li Ming vigorously promoting cooperation with foreigners related to a high altitude anti-stealth drone.
According to the book, China needed to develop small multifunctional cheap early warning aircraft that are connected to a network and easy to use, as China was lacking in this area.
The Shendiao is an ideal drone to serve as radar sensors for a manned early warning aircraft. A group of Shendiaos can form a multi-based radar system, operating with a manned early warning aircraft.
No. 601 Research Institute has achieved this goal, and has developed an experimental “Shendiao” drone based on the international cooperation.
China’s defence strategy, outlined in a document made public this week, calls for increasing the range of its military forces further from its own coasts through what the Chinese call two island chains, stretching from northeast Asia through the South China Sea.
Source: mil.huanqiu.com “Disclosure of China’s homegrown ‘Shendiao’ double-fuselage drone” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on he report in Chinese)
- Chinese military’s unlimited budget (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s leader is telling the People’s Liberation Army to prepare for war (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s military not ready ‘to fight and win future wars’ (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s secretive military cracks open door for glimpse inside (chinadailymail.com)
- China planes ‘violated Taiwanese airspace’ (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese Military Using Jamming Against U.S. Drones (ncrenegade.com)
- China Trying To Jam U.S. MilitDrones (warnewsupdates.blogspot.com)
- Japan-China defense officials agree on need for maritime liaison mechanism (japantimes.co.jp)
- Chinese Military Using Jamming Against U.S. Drones (teaparty.org)
- Chinese Military Using Jamming Against U.S. Drones (nworeport.me)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace