The following is based on a translation of a report in Chinese media:
14 of the 17 members of Thai Navy’s purchase committee voted for the purchase of the Chinese submarines.
The deal will be finalised when it is approved by Thai cabinet later.
An additional advantage of the model is that it can stay underwater for 21 days.
Moreover, China promised to transfer some navy technology and help train professional technicians for the submarines.
The model Thailand has chosen is the S-26. No details of its functions have been revealed.
The report concludes that Thailand is America’s traditional ally, but is now seeking better ties with China.
Through the deal, China believes the ties will be even closer.
Source: thepaper.cn “Thai navy formally approves purchase of 3 Chinese submarines at $1.1 billion due to their high functions-to-price ratio” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China has built twelve new AIP submarines, while Japan has built only five (chinadailymail.com)
- China says it’s massive navy buildup is world’s biggest (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese media claims three strategic nuclear submarines berthed in Hainan are superior to current submarines (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s supersonic submarine (chinadailymail.com)
- China now has more submarines than the U.S., and are expanding global operations (chinadailymail.com)
- Thailand likes price-performance ratio of China’s Type 039B sub (wantchinatimes.com)
- Thailand to Upgrade Fleet, Chooses Chinese to Provide Three Submarines (theunhivedmind.com)
- Thailand Buying 3 Chinese Subs (marinelink.com)
- Thailand plans $1-bln purchase of three Chinese submarines (dailymail.co.uk)
- Thai navy votes to buy three Chinese submarines worth $1 bn (thanhniennews.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace