The following is based on a translation of a report on a Chinese news site:
According to a report on Chinese news site mil.huanqiu.com, China’s state-owned weapons giant the China North Industries Group Corporation (North Industries) and private Internet giant Alibaba Group have set up a joint venture to market and apply the services of China’s GPS – the Beidou Satellite Navigation System (Beidou).
China’s original goal in developing its very expensive Beidou global positioning system was to enable Chinese military to have global positioning capabilities independent of the US GPS so that it will not be deprived of such capabilities if the US refuses to provide GPS services for the Chinese military.
China has now established its Beidou with better accuracy than the US GPS to cover the area within and near China, and is now expanding Beidou to cover the whole world by 2020.
Seeing the huge profit made by the US GPS, China now wants to provide commercial services of its Beidou system in order to grab a large market share from the US GPS.
The report says that, according to Chinese President Xi Jinping’s thorough economic reform scheme, China will have its private enterprises join force with its state-owned sector to give play to the private sector’s great potential and urge its state-owned sector to improve in the face of competition from the private sector.
China’s state-owned weapons giant North Industries has now joined forces with China’s private Internet giant Alibaba to deal with the US GPS monopoly of the global positioning market.
Source: mil.huanqiu.com “Giants’ Cooperation between weapon producer and Alibaba: Beidou’s spring of fast development comes” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China fast expands its GPS system to global coverage for ICBM defence (chinadailymail.com)
- China expanding its GPS to cover entire world with top accuracy (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s president says risks to economy ‘not that scary’ (chinadailymail.com)
- China concerned that India shows no clear interest in the New Silk Road initiative (chinadailymail.com)
- China to grant rare prisoner amnesties for war anniversary (chinadailymail.com)
- Alibaba-Norinco deal to boost Beidou navigation system (wantchinatimes.com)
- Alibaba : forms Norinco alliance (4-traders.com)
- Alibaba Joins China Arms Maker to Offer Location Services (industryweek.com)
- Alibaba Teams Up With Norinco To Provide Positioning Services Using China’s Beidou Satellite System (forbes.com)
- Alibaba Joins Forces With Chinese Arms Maker (rss.nytimes.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace