The following is based on a translation of a report on a Chinese news site:
Hong Kong media mil.ifent.com reports that in the military parade on September 3, China displayed its new AEW&C (Airborne Early Warning & Control), the KJ-500, for the first time.
The article in the Talking on Weapons & War section of the website says that the KJ-2000 was the leader in the parade formation of the Chinese air force, but the KJ-500s that have already appeared in the dress rehearsal of the parade were the focus of people’s attention.
The article believes that undoubtedly the KJ-500 will be deployed in large numbers, as it is more cost effective though it is uncertain how much the KJ-500 is inferior to the KJ-2000 in functions.
The article regards the use of AEW&Cs second largest instead of the largest as the trend throughout the world though the US has deployed its largest E-3 AEW&Cs.
It says that the E-3 has been designed for large-scale air battle between superpowers without sufficient support from the ground.
In air battles near the homeland with sufficient ground support, there is no need for such large AEW&Cs.
The report says says that even Israel uses smaller AEW&Cs similar in size to the Gulfstream G550.
Contributed by “Tiananmen’s Tremendous Achievements” – Author of “Tiananmen’s Tremendous Achievements” and “Space Era Strategy” – Also English/Chinese translation service
Source: mil.ifeng.com “KJ-500 will replace KJ-2000 as major AEW&C like US Virginia class replacing Seawolf class” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China’s AEW&C KJ-3000 air-to-surface combat aircraft (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese media claims US allies provided secret military assistance to China in defiance of international weapons embargo (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s aircraft carrier has fatal weakness – vulnerable if too far away from China (chinadailymail.com)
- Pakistan is sort-of happy with Chinese aircraft, bought under pressure from China (chinadailymail.com)
- China: Various types of AEW&C aircraft provide 24-hour combat capability (chinadailymail.com)
- China Marks Anniversary Of WWII’s End (hereandnow.wbur.org)
- Tale of two parades as ordinary Chinese barred from display (news.yahoo.com)
- Tale of two parades as ordinary Chinese barred from display (dailymail.co.uk)
- China shows off missile ‘able to destroy aircraft carriers’ at massive WW2 parade (telegraph.co.uk)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace
Leave a Reply