The following is based on a translation of a report on a Chinese news site:
Mil.huanqiu.com says in its report on September 18 that in order to know more about China’s new Yilong-II (Pterosaur II) unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), its reporter has had an exclusive interview with relevant people of the UAV project.
According to them, the Pterosaur II is a medium-height, long-duration integrated reconnaissance and strike UAV with a wingspan of 20.5 meters, length of 11 meters, maximum takeoff load of 4,200 kg, underwing payload of 480 kg, maximum speed of 370 km/hour, maximum altitude of 9,000 meters and cruise duration of 20 hours.
It is inferior to the US MQ-9 Reaper, which has a maximum altitude of 15,000 meters, payload of 1,700 kg and maximum speed of 482 km/hour, due to China’s lack of a powerful aircraft engine.
In addition, it can carry other weapons and some optional equipment required by users for electronic reconnaissance, radar interference, telecommunication reconnaissance, intelligence collection, reconnaissance photographing, telecommunication relay, search, rescue and data chain.
The report continues that, according to Li Yidong, chief designer of the Pterosaur series UAV, it will take three more years to develop the UAV.
Li says China now lags behind the US by about 10 years in UAV technology.
He says his colleagues and he are making great efforts to develop the Pterosaur II in order to catch up with the US.
Source: mil.huanqiu.com “Exclusive interview reveals the secret of Pterosaur II, which may be put out in three years and rank in the forefront in the world” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China’s Rainbow drone ready for delivery to PLA (chinadailymail.com)
- China says its drones superior to US in every aspect (chinadailymail.com)
- China is busy launching satellites for space-air military capabilities (chinadailymail.com)
- China protests planned U.S. sale of warships to Taiwan (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese jet’s aggressive intercept of US jet in international waters (chinadailymail.com)
- China unveils next-generation Wing Loong II drone (inform.kz)
- New China Drone: Looks Like A Reaper But… (breakingdefense.com)
- MQ-9 Reaper Drone is World’s Deadliest, Here are 5 Cool Facts You May Not Know (techeblog.com)
- MQ-9 Reaper Shows Prowess in Maritime Domain: Air Force (defensetech.org)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace