The following is based on a translation of a report on a Chinese news site:
According to Chinese media mil.huanqiu.com’s report, the website of U.S. media Popular Science monthly said in its report that the PL-15 beyond visual range air-to-air missile has a range of 150 to 200 km further than any U.S. air-to-air missiles in service.
In addition, it has a longer active radar monitoring and anti-jamming data chain. Gen. Carlisle said that with an additional ramjet engine, the missile had a longer range to threaten not only US F-22 and F-35 stealth fighter jets but also U.S. bombers and aerial refueling aircrafts.
The report continued that General Herbert Carlisle, the head of the U.S. Air Force’s Air Combat Command, asked the rhetorical question in a speech at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, D.C., “How do we counter that and what are we going to do to continue to meet that threat?”
The report says that US media claims that the new missile has the US Air Force spooked.
Source: mil.huanqiu.com “Foreign media: China test-fired PL15 beyond-visual-range missile that had a U.S. general worried” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- Chinese media claims US allies provided secret military assistance to China in defiance of international weapons embargo (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s world first air-to-air missile for helicopters, the Feiyan-90 (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s J-20 stealth fighter: Finalisation test flight and interior weapon cabin (chinadailymail.com)
- Is China building an “aircraft carrier in disguise?” (chinadailymail.com)
- Call made to US Congress for China war plan (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s PL-15….its 150-200 km air to air missile.. (snafu-solomon.blogspot.com)
- Air Force Admits New Stealth Jet Can’t Dogfight (teaparty.org)
- China Reveals Air-to-Air Missile for Its Fifth-Generation Fighter Jet (defencetalk.com)
- China extends reach in S. China Sea with third man-made island airstrip (worldtribune.com)
- Expert: China Building Third Airstrip on Disputed South China Sea Islets (voanews.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace