The following is based on a translation of a report on a Chinese news site:
At the opening of the Tianjin Helicopter Expo, reporters of China’s mil.huanqiu.com and Aviation News Weekly interviewed Hong Jiao, vice general manager of AVIC Helicopters and director of the AVIC Helicopter Design Research Institute on the development of Chinese helicopters.
Hong said that China now has the capability of independent research, development and mass production of third-generation helicopters and is conducting research and development of a new fourth-generation helicopter.
It is expected that China will have the capability of serial production of such helicopters by the end of the thirteenth Five-year Plan (2016-2020).
The report says that information about China’s fourth-generation helicopters is classified, but according to Hong, in the future, more importance will be attached to the integrated functions of a helicopter; therefore, a certain technology in China’s fourth-generation helicopter may not be as good as that of the declassified Z-10, regarded as China’s Apache, but technology in many other respects will be better than the Z-10.
Hong says that there have already been concepts of fifth- and sixth-generation helicopter in the world.
What Hong did reveal is that China’s exploration of its future helicopters is not limited to fourth generation.
Source: mil.huanqiu.com “China’s fourth-generation helicopter to begin mass production by 2020: It surpasses Z-10 in many respects” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China to build helicopter that can exceed 700km/h (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese media claims US allies provided secret military assistance to China in defiance of international weapons embargo (chinadailymail.com)
- China prepares for war (chinadailymail.com)
- China shows off powerful new turboshafts for China’s versions of Apache and Osprey helicopters (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s aircraft carrier has fatal weakness – vulnerable if too far away from China (chinadailymail.com)
- China developing new attack helicopter with stealth power (wantchinatimes.com)
- China, Russia to Co-Develop Heavy-Lift Helicopter In 2016 (defencetalk.com)
- Russia To Deliver Two Transport Helicopters To China (valuewalk.com)
- China, Russia plan new heavy-lift helicopter (spacedaily.com)
- China Is Developing A Stealth Helicopter (warnewsupdates.blogspot.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace