The following is based on a translation of a report in Chinese media:
The Global Times (Chinese edition) reports that a Chinese military expert has disclosed that China will be able to carry out a small-batch production trial of China’s new Chengdu J-20 prototype stealth fighters by 2016.
Test flights of considerable duration have now been carried out for more than five years.
The period of test flights for the J-20 will be the shortest before production commenced compared with any other stealth fighter jets in the world.
However, the report says, the expert points out that as the J-20 still uses AL-31F or WS-10 engines, it does not meet the standards for a fifth-generation aircraft in supersonic cruise speed and super manoeuvrability.
Therefore, the J-20 produced will not be its finalised version.
The J-20’s purpose is to protect the homeland from being attacked, which is why China has sped up production.
Source: “Expert: J-20 still fails to meet the standards for fifth-generation fighter jets: It will be produced in small batches for deployment in Chinese troops” (summary by China Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- Chinese media claims US allies provided secret military assistance to China in defiance of international weapons embargo (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese media claims: Japan has plans to force down Chinese jets; Chinese jets chase away Japanese jets (chinadailymail.com)
- China scrambles jets after Myanmar bomb kills four people in Yunnan province (chinadailymail.com)
- China claims successful attack on Japanese military satellite; destroyed control chip with “secret weapon” (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s media says deployment of troops for war with Japan is now complete; waiting for opportune time to attack (chinadailymail.com)
- New stealth fighter in China’s kitty (technologyvista.in)
- Newest prototype of J-20 stealth fighter may be being tested (wantchinatimes.com)
- China’s Copycat Jet Raises Questions About F-35 (nworeport.me)
- New J20 stealth fighter prototype spotted and successful tests could start China’s J20 stealth production and deployment (nextbigfuture.com)
- New J-20 Stealth Fighter Prototype Undergoes Flight Tests (defencetalk.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace