The following is based on a translation of a report on a Chinese news site:
It notes that the missile accelerates to supersonic speed just before hitting its target, making it harder for a crew to defend their ship.”
“The YJ-18 missile can cruise at about 600 miles an hour, or just under the speed of sound, only a few metres above the surface of the sea and then, about 20 nautical miles from its target, accelerate to as much as three times the speed of sound,” according to report from the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission.
“The supersonic speed makes it harder to hit with on-board guns,” said commission Chairman Larry Wortzel.
“It also makes it a faster target for radar.”
According to the report, the YJ-18 has a range of 290 nautical miles, much longer than previous missiles.
Source: mil.huanqiu.com “U.S. media: China’s ship killer makes the U.S. hard to defend: It can hinder the advance of an aircraft carrier” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China takes nuclear weapons underwater where prying eyes can’t see (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s space program aims at destroying US navy and mining the moon (chinadailymail.com)
- China thinks it can defeat America in battle (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s military not ready ‘to fight and win future wars’ (chinadailymail.com)
- China Secretly Conducts Second Flight Test Of New Ultra High-Speed Missile (chinadailymail.com)
- Pentagon Says Chinese Sub That Can Hit U.S. to Go on Patrol Soon (nworeport.me)
- Very strange missile? A secret revealed (lunaticoutpost.com)
- China’s PL-15….its 150-200 km air to air missile.. (snafu-solomon.blogspot.com)
- China dissident’s wife rejects invite to State Department (goerie.com)
- US-China summit takes place amid human rights crackdown (sfgate.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace