The following is based on a translation of a report on a Chinese news site:
However, U.S. defence department officials regard the DN-3 missile mainly as an anti-satellite (ASAT) weapon.
The report says that the DN-3 flight test was the eighth time China carried out an anti-satellite missile test.
An earlier test occurred in July 2014, which China also asserted was a missile defence test.
The report also states that at that time, a Chinese Embassy spokesman said: ‘I don’t have detailed information about the missile test mentioned.’
The report continues that U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for arms control, verification and compliance, Frank Rose, said that despite China’s claims that this was not an ASAT test, the United States had high confidence in its assessment that the event was indeed an ASAT test.
According to the report, the U.S. media claims that the recent test is China’s eighth ASAT test though China repeatedly tried to make people believe that the ASAT tests were ICBM interception tests.
It also claims that China has a weapon with “new high-altitude ASAT capability”, which will be deployed in the 2020s.
Mil.huanqiu.com concludes its report by saying that the U.S. was the first in developing ASAT weapons.
However, now China has surpassed the U.S. in ASAT technology.
Source: mil.huanqiu.com “U.S. media claims that China tested Dong Neng-3 anti-satellite weapons surpassing the U.S.” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China making preparations to counter US nuclear attack (chinadailymail.com)
- China preparing for drone warfare (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s formidable rocket artillery; 10,000 nuclear warheads capable of destroying Russia and United States (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese media says China’s hypersonic missiles can neutralise America’s ICBMs (chinadailymail.com)
- China Secretly Conducts Second Flight Test Of New Ultra High-Speed Missile (chinadailymail.com)
- China is launching a ‘trump card’ nuclear submarine that could target the US (businessinsider.com)
- China’s president pledges to fight cyberattacks (sundiatapost.com)
- China’s Xi expresses firm commitment to nuclear-free Korean Peninsula (koreaherald.com)
- Some Americans are a lot more worried about China than others (knowmore.washingtonpost.com)
- Xi Jinping’s Visit Undermines The Case For The U.S. To Spend $1 Trillion On Nuclear Weapons (forbes.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace