The following is based on a translation of a report on a Chinese news site:
The major ones are the change of the trapezoid tail into perpendicular sweepback one, the integrated cabin cover, the change in the structure of the inner weapon bays and the appearance of a small yellow mushroom-shaped device below the fuselage.
The reporter asked military expert Du Wenlong to give an explanation of the changes.
Du did not give much explanation about the tail, cabin cover or weapon bays, but said that the mushroom-shaped device is for optical/radar surveillance.
According to Du, the shape of the tail and cabin cover can be modified according to export customers’ requirements while the dimensions of the weapon bay can be readjusted to fit their existing weapons.
Du believes the J-31, codenamed FC-31 for export, is entirely developed for export.
Du said that the J-31 being a medium-sized fighter jet can better serve as a carrier-based fighter jet than the J-20.
Source: chinanews.com “Three clear changes in J-31’ appearance: It may serve as a carrier-based fighter jet” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- Chinese media claims US allies provided secret military assistance to China in defiance of international weapons embargo (chinadailymail.com)
- China to build helicopter that can exceed 700km/h (chinadailymail.com)
- Russia sells China 100 Su-35 fighter jets (chinadailymail.com)
- Philippines moves fighter jets into South China Sea (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s grand military parade ‘meant to deter Japan and corrupt officials’ (chinadailymail.com)
- China may have conducted test flight of world’s fastest aircraft (wantchinatimes.com)
- China’s incremental step from hypersonic missile to air launched hypersonic drone (nextbigfuture.com)
- China developing new attack helicopter with stealth abilities (dawn.com)
- China Is Developing A Stealth Helicopter (warnewsupdates.blogspot.com)
- Failed tech transfer may delay fighter jet project (koreaherald.com)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace