China on Friday opposed the call for a nuclear weapons boost by Russia and the US. On Thursday, Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President-elect Donald Trump had called for enhancing nuclear weapons capabilities, Efe news reported.”China stands for and advocates the full prohibition and destruction of nuclear weapons,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said at a press conference.
“The country with the largest nuclear arsenal should take special and prior responsibility for nuclear disarmament, take the lead in dramatically decreasing its nuclear arsenals so as to create conditions for full and thorough nuclear disarmament,” he added.
On Thursday, Trump had tweeted that the US “must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes”. In a meeting with defence officials the same day, Putin also made a call to strengthen Russia’s nuclear potential.
Source: The Financial Express – China opposes call for nuclear weapons boost by Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin
- Trump rattles world with nuke comments (triblive.com)
- Trump’s comments on nuclear weapons rattle US officials and foreign leaders (thegazette.com)
- This May Be Trump’s Most Frightening and Dangerous Tweet Yet (motherjones.com)
- Kremlin says Russia will never initiate an arms race: RIA (businessinsider.com)
- Will Trump Get Us All Nuked? Or Just Bankrupt Us? (crooksandliars.com)
- Putin sends Trump Christmas letter after exchange over nuclear arms race (cbsnews.com)
- Donald Trump on Letter From Vladimir Putin: ‘His Thoughts Are So Correct’ (time.com)
- Julian Assange offers to prove Russia hack (amtvmedia.com)
- Without Trump and Putin building more, how many nuclear weapons are in the world and what could they destroy? (telegraph.co.uk)
Categories: Defence & Aerospace